Monday, March 5, 2012

The endless search for cover artist

I never realized how hard it would be to find that one perfect cover for my stories. I've looked at countless artists' profiles and portfolios, sending emails and messages to every possible option. It's been hard. Not only am I facing the harsh reality that free-lance artists are asking for a fee way beyond my starting budget, but also finding one that truly can capture the idea I have in my head for each of these short stories is downright hard. Seeing how each of my short stories is slightly different, and all vary from urban fantasy, to historical fantasy with some romance thrown in there, getting the artwork pegged just right is quite the homework. But I won't give up.
Somewhere out there, an artist has created just the right work to match my story and I'm devoted to finding it. By the end of this month, my first short story will hit the Kindle market and it'll have the most amazing work of cover art I could have imagined for it. So, future readers, stand by to be amazed at my discovery!

2 comments:

  1. Another option may be to not get an artist, and instead a photographer. In urban fantasy, for example, it's pretty trendy to have incredibly simplistic cover art, sometimes of just body parts. Laurel K. Hamilton started it, but Twilight is best known for it. Like just the apple, or the chess piece? It may not be ideal or match exactly what you wanted, but a lot of people do it, and it might be a cheaper option. Just a though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I just gotta catch a dragon in mid-flight for a photo op and I'm all set! Hahaha...but this is definitely where I'll end up heading if I fail to get an artist by the end of the week. I'll create something myself!

    ReplyDelete